Well, the past few weeks have been so rewarding yet challenging - I won't deny that! When Colton was released from the hospital, his bilirubin count was at 10.2 - babies are supposed to be below 10 to get released, but since he was so close, and everything else looked good, he was discharged. Well, we had to go see his pediatrician the next day (Thursday) to check on his bili levels. He was up at 16.5 - sheesh! So we had to come back on Friday. He was up at 17.9 - this is not good! A bilirubin count of 20 sends him back to the hospital - 25 is when brain damage starts and increases the possibility of a stroke. Argh!!! So the doctor wanted us to try phototheraphy at home in order to prevent him from going back into the hospital. I was willing to try anything to avoid that! So I ordered the "suitcase" and they delivered it to us. He had to lie under the lights in just a diaper with little cloth-lined "sunglasses" to protect his eyes from the UV rays. Since our windows were being replaced at the house, I was at a friend's house that day. Colton spent a few hours in the suitcase at the Wilcoxson's house and then the rest of the night at home. We went to the after hours clinic on Saturday morning to check his bili levels and he was at 14.3 - woohoo!!!! We were officially moving in the right direction! Then we went back to the doctor on Monday and he was down to 12.3 -this was such a relief! Each and every time we went to check his levels they had to prick his heel and draw blood. It was heart-wrenching for me! I cried through almost every one of them. It hurt me that he was being hurt. I know it was for his health, but it killed me every time. He would sleep through the whole episode, and I would be crying crocodile tears...it was to be expected, but embarrassing nonetheless...
Well, we went back in last week for Colton's 2 week check up and he's growing like a weed! He was born at 7-9 and 20 inches. He lost a bunch of weight and was down at 6-12 when we left the hospital. He was up to 6-15 on Saturday when we went to the after hours clinic and up to 7-12 at his 2 week check up. And he's already grown a half inch! We are very excited about his improved health and growth spurt...tee hee!
Things are going really well - except for the occasional sleepless night, but I'll take it each and every time because I have been blessed with the most beautiful gift I could ever receive! Doug and I have brought home and are now responsible for the most miraculous human life! He is absolutely gorgeous!
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love the pictures! And I am so glad that little CCR is doing well. I sure can't wait to meet your little bundle.
Love,
Cristina
Post a Comment