Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The evil sleep sack

Well, for those that I talked to at length about Colton's sleeping habits early on know that he was a dream sleeper - even through the night. I would inevitably wake up once to fill his tummy and change his diaper, but I could easily get 6-8 hours with just the one interruption. Well, that has now changed thanks to the evil sleep sack. First, I must admit that the SS was a gift from a dear family member. We very much appreciate their generosity and are extremely thankful. The SS came as a part of a layette set which included a small onesie pajama and a larger full leg pajama for when Colton gets bigger. Oh! And it comes with the cutest little sleep cap! It's a great set!

Well, I didn't realize that the SS is really for advanced sleepers. Little did I know, my son is a beginner sleeper. Regardless of how well he was sleeping from the beginning, he was merely holding on by a thread. He wasn't a master of his trade...he was an apprentice who had beginner's luck. So I thought the SS would be a great alternative to the typical swaddling that my son seemed to enjoy at night. Well, it failed miserably! I now have a son who thinks that noon-6pm is his night time and that from 2-6am is his recess.

In order to attempt to set my poor little man straight, yesterday I significantly interrupted his routine of hanging out (needy) in the wee hours of the morning and recovering from his romping throughout the entire day. Well, that wasn't working for me since I'm not much of an afternoon napper - even with an infant at home. So when he woke up to eat at noon, I fed his little tummy and got him all cleaned up but did not let him go back to sleep. I was determined to keep him awake and tire him out by the evening. Well, I was successful in keeping him awake from noon-2pm and from 4-5:45pm at which point he would have collapsed in exhaustion had he been able to get himself off of his back to begin with. He was exhausted!

So I was feeling pretty confident that I might get a little more sleep than usual tonight, and yet, here I sit waiting patiently for him to realize that he's tired and settle in for a few more hours of Z's. I even went to Babies R Us and got him one of those swaddlers which I sweetly have nicknamed the Infant Straight Jacket. Since he loves to get his arms free, I figured this might help him to stay relaxed (and warm) at night. Well, we've been up since 2, and I've been feeding him his pacifier after each time he spits it out and then opens his little mouth like a bird to get it back for over an hour now...ooh, he's finally settling in a little bit so I'm not going to miss my window of opportunity...I'm off to get as many minutes of sleep as I can until he gets hungry again...Good night!

No comments: