Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I can't believe it's been so long...

Well, my dad mentioned the other day that I hadn't updated my blog recently, and he sure was right. It's been over two months! Sheesh! I am not a very good blogger...I think posting every two months defeats the purpose. Oh well...so here we go...to catch up:

To start with, my mom came into town from Florida for Memorial Day weekend. She is a project-oriented person and really lit a fire under my rearend to get my house baby-ready. She helped me tackle some much needed projects - albeit tiny projects - which have started the ball rolling. I'm sure you know the type of projects I'm talking about...the ones that take about 5 minutes and about 10 dollars but don't seem to be important enough to tackle without the motivation of someone who doesn't live with you every day. So we tackled a few organization projects which have successfully lit the fire...it's a roarin'...

Let's just say - this past weekend excluded - Doug and I spent two weekends in a row unpacking each and every box in our garage and going through each content item to determine whether it should be in a box for keeper items, a box for garage sale items or the trash can outside. It was a long, daunting and HOT endeavor, but we finished it!!! Our garage is amazing now! I haven't had a garage look this good since Pearland...and that was a long time ago! We found that 2/3rds of our belongings are now sitting in boxes for a garage sale this weekend and just a few boxes of keeper stuff. The rest of our packed garage was thrown away or shredded.

So needless to say, after our garage sale this weekend, we might actually be able to park one car in our garage and be able to find what we’re looking for…now that we’ve discovered we have 3 full size hammers, about 6 glass pyrex measuring cups and probably 25 screwdrivers…and Doug would say that they’re all necessary items…which is fine now that we have room for them and know where to find them…tee hee

We also cleaned out our utility room which was full of junk, unopened boxes and everything else that didn’t have a permanent home. Now we can maneuver in there to fee the puppies without tripping over or knocking down a bunch of things that shouldn’t have been in there to begin with.

We also moved more furniture around amongst the bedrooms. That was an adventure because we moved the leather sofa that used to be in our living room into the office from the garage. We managed to scrape up the door frames of the office and master bedroom before we decided to invest the 30 minutes and $25 to get the right tool to take the feet off of the sofa. So we took the feet off and got it in the office (after about 2 hours of trying) which helped to organize the office and clean out the garage. Now the office is a sort of office/den/hang out/boys room of sorts. It’s pretty cool now because Doug can jam out on his guitar and have a comfy and organized place to do it.

Speaking of Doug, I just want everyone who reads this to know that Doug has been such a fantastic trooper throughout this insanity I’ve experienced regarding cleaning up/out the house to get ready for the baby. Since I can’t lift everything I think I can, he has been such a huge help in moving things around and helping me go through every box in the garage and seriously purge our belongings. It has been such a therapeutic experience for me, and he really contributed to its success. So to him I am forever grateful!!!!

Now onto the baby…I went to the doctor last week and we’re pluggin’ along normally – which is a blessing alone!

I did have a slight scare over the weekend when I didn’t feel the baby for almost 6 hours. That may not seem like a big deal – which ordinarily it wouldn’t be – but usually when I poke/prod him, he’ll wake up and reassure me that he’s still there and growing. But this time, I couldn’t get him to move. So after a few hours of contemplating, I called the after hours number and spoke with the on-call nurse. He told me to drink a ton of water/juice (approx. 25 oz.) and lie on my left side. He told me to feel for 6 fetal movements in one hour and call him back regardless of what happened within that hour. So I hung up the phone and proceeded to throw back the rest of the apple juice in the fridge – about 14 ounces. I had about 8 oz. of water right before I lied down for bed (about 20 minutes before my apple juice gulping) so I figured that would be enough to get the baby going. Well, 15 minutes into my counting, I had only one fetal movement to remember. So I jumped (or rather rolled slowly) out of bed and gulped another 10 oz. of water. I lied back down and waited and waited. It took almost 45 minutes total, but I finally counted the 6th and 7th fetal movements. I called the nurse back and told him that the baby was fine. He reassured me that he had no doubts, but that he was glad I was satisfied. With that, I was able to get a fairly decent night’s sleep…whew!

Back to the doctor…the baby’s heart rate sounded good and my weight gain is right in line with where it should be…so all’s well there. I did ask the doctor about the baby’s position because I was very curious. He told me that the baby was still small enough to flip around so the position wouldn’t be consistent even if he could determine his orientation. I then told him that the baby was continually kicking me in the upper right and upper left of my abdomen. With that information, he told me that the baby was probably head down and flipping from front to back. To be honest, that freaked me out…with the baby head down, that means that he’s getting ready…I’m not even CLOSE to ready!!! Yikes!!!! But now he’s moving all over again and sliding from side to side and making it very uncomfortable for me to sit down because he’s jammed up into my ribs…what fun! But it is still so exciting every time he moves and I can feel the little life inside my body just waiting to get out – or at least that’s what I’m telling myself…tee hee

Anywho, I’m off to take care of some business around the house…hopefully there’ll be more before next month…tee hee

No comments: